Thursday, July 14, 2011

THE WORKPLACE AND HORRIBLE BOSSES

So yesterday I was supposed to go watch Horrible Bosses with my boyfriend. Unfortunately the 8:05 PM movie showing was sold out. The next one wasn't until 10:25 PM and that would've been too late because I have to be up at 6:45 AM to get to work by 8:00 AM. I was really looking forward to watching the movie because I think everyone could relate to the movie (as far as the concept of the movie goes). 


I would assume that at one point or another most people have felt that they had a horrible boss. I know I've had more than one of those. My current boss is so naive & has no manners. I've been at my current job for a little over 2 months. I've been in training this whole time and it's supposed to be over in 1 more month. You might be wondering what makes my boss so horrible. Well, I think it's a combination of things. 


I didn't know he was related to the business owners (it's a family owned business I work for). In front of prospects he tells them that the owners are his aunt and uncle. So I'm thinking he's telling the truth. Turns out he's not their nephew. Growing up he was the owners' daughter's best friend. My supervisor is one of ten children. His family moved out of state and his best friend's parents (his fake "aunt" and "uncle" took him in so he wouldn't have to move. 


One thing that bugs me is that as he's training me he treats me as if I don't know anything, he treats me like he does prospects. The way I can tell is because he's taught me the sales steps according to our training material and some of those steps are the ones he takes with me. It's so frustrating when someone treats you like a kid. I'm thinking it's his lack of inexperience in the real world. I say that because he's 31 years old and he's been working at this company for 12 years. I don't think he would survive at any other company.


He also doesn't know how to treat people. He had a total of 4 people working under him (at one point) and I witnessed him telling the other 3 employees "if you don't...I get yelled at and then I have to yell at you." The way he said it was almost a threat. What supervisor or manager would be allowed to tell their employee that they will yell at them? To me that is unprofessional behavior. He walks and talks with a sense of superiority when he's in the office.


There have been a few instances when we walk out of a bad appointment (where the prospect didn't show or he/she didn't want to meet with us after they had set the appointment). He starts cursing in the car about the prospect who no showed or about the telemarketers who set the appointment. It would be fine if he was alone in the car, but he's not. He tries to get me to agree with all his cursing, but I just stay quiet and nod. Again, unprofessional behavior. And it's not like I can report him to the HR department or anything because the HR/ Marketing manager (his boss) is his best friend! He's like a little spoiled kid who throws a temper tantrum when he doesn't get his way.


What really gets me are his disgusting ways, his lack of manners. I'm in a car with him quite often because we're out in the field (the nature of the sales beast). Occasionally he'll sneeze; when he does, he sneezes into his hand and then rubs his hand on his pants. Gross! Also, we're always out on the road and sometimes we don't have time to stop for lunch. He always brings his lunch and eats while driving. What really gets me is that he chews with his mouth open and even talks to me while he's still chewing! Chewing with your mouth open is one of my biggest pet peeves and I find it VERY DISGUSTING! He's a grown man, he should know better. Then when he's finishing up whatever he's eating, he'll lick his fingers and rub his hand on his pants. I just want to barf thinking about it...


Today I think I scared him with the way I talked to him. One thing I hate are backseat drivers. Today it was my turn to drive so I drove my car and he was my passenger. A few days ago I also drove and I noticed him making a lot of little comments that backseat drivers usually make like, "you might want to switch over lanes," or "watch out for that car" (you get the point). So today I'm merging on to the freeway (highway) and as I'm merging I look behind me to my left and I have plenty of space to merge onto the lane to the left. I also noticed there was a semi truck to the left of that lane; I had enough space and the semi truck was good. As I'm merging he yells out "watch out!" So I turn to the left really quick and it freaked me out. I realized everything was OK and nothing was the matter. My immediate response was "PLEASE, DON'T DO THAT!" After that there was an awkward silence for the rest of the drive. I could tell that put him in his place for the time being. I hate it when people do that!


Anyway, because it's a family owned and operated small business I can tell that I won't get too far here. Good thing too because I don't know how much longer I'm going to be able to put up with this guy, my horrible boss. I can't wait to watch Horrible Bosses (hopefully this weekend)!

No comments:

Post a Comment