Monday, July 25, 2011

Anger Management

Many people have seen the movie Anger Management. It's a funny movie and makes one laugh. It almost seems as if Adam Sandler's character doesn't need anger management classes. The people who are taking anger management classes usually do so because of a court order, because they have to. Those who really have anger management issues are the ones who don't take the classes.


I have been told I should take anger management classes. The one who told me was my younger brother (4 years younger). The last time he told me was probably 2-3 years ago. I was such an angry person then. Even still he tells me sometimes, but now i think it's his own exaggeration. My 16 year old sister doesn't think i have anger issues anymore. What matters is what I think, right? I don't know anymore. Sometimes I'm not sure if I overreact.


Yesterday I had an issue with the boyfriend. By now I'm pretty sure he knows that when I get mad, I'm mad. What I like is that he gives me space and time for me to cool off. We've had an event planned for a few months now. This event is taking place in November. Yesterday we were having lunch with his mom and her girlfriend and he's telling his mom about a comic book convention that he's going to go to with his friends. He mentioned it is in November. So I casually asked him "when in November is it?" He said, "the [respective] weekend in November." I then said, "that's the event." He just stayed quiet. Then his mom asked more about the event and suggested he could maybe make it to both. Her girlfriend also made some suggestions. He began taking their suggestions into real consideration. After all, where there's a will there's a way, right?


I felt like I was boiling up inside. I could almost feel steam coming out of my head because I was so angry. I didn't say much anymore because it was useless for me to say anything at this time. It was time for me to go home shortly after and he walked me out to my car. This is where I let it all out and in a way blew up. To me it seemed like my event meant nothing to him. Certainly not important enough since he forgot about it and made other plans on top of those we already had. I wasn't mad because it's a comic book thing or because he was hanging out with his friends; I can understand because I like to do things I like and hang out with my friends also. I was angry because of the principle of the whole thing; double booking and me being left hanging.


When we first started going out I made it clear to him that one of my biggest pet peeves is when someone tells me they're going to do something or go somewhere with me and then they flake out. The only way it's acceptable is for some emergency or last minute family thing that comes up that is really important. So he said he wouldn't go to the comic book thing with his friends & he would go to my event. Somehow this didn't make me feel any better.


Later in the day I saw him again. I had cooled off and had time to think. I thought to myself I might've been overreacting. While we were talking he said something that really bothered me. I asked him "if you were to go to your comic book thing, how would you make it to that?" His response, "It doesn't matter. I'm not going because I don't want to get in trouble." I felt offended because I knew he was referring to getting in trouble by me. I was simply asking because I was genuinely interested in how he could make both events since I know it's something he really wants to go to.


Anyway, at night he was hanging out with his friends. We had agreed I would see him after since I had something else to do also. My thing ended a bit earlier so I tried calling him a few times. Each call went straight to voicemail. So I guess you could say that added fuel to the fire of how I was already feeling. He had told me to call him and/or text him when I was done to see where I could meet him (where he was at with his friends or at his home). This just got me angry again, considering I was already cooled off. So I just headed home.


I was just angry all over and was trying to hold back. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all, right? He called me after and we spoke on the phone and everything was still bothering me. I still felt mad. I was just mad at everything. It's been a day and I'm still mad, not as mad as yesterday, though.


What makes someone NEED anger management classes? Do I need them? Is my anger for a good reason?

No comments:

Post a Comment