Thursday, August 4, 2011

Homeless People

Different negative thoughts usually go through people's minds when coming across a homeless person. Thoughts like "oh, another bum!", or "they're probably just another junkie who wants money to buy more drugs or alcohol." We all jump to conclusions, but have we ever stopped to have a conversation with any homeless person we've come across? I've never stopped to talk to a homeless person.

We've all seen a homeless person at a freeway exit, others at a street red light, outside of a grocery store, at a gas station, etc. We judge them by how they look. If they're wearing somewhat clean clothes we may assume "they're probably not homeless--they're probably just looking for a handout." Why do we judge the homeless so harshly, I know I have sometimes been a harsh judge myself.

Today I took my mom to the doctor for an appointment (she doesn't drive). I dropped her off at the clinic and went to get lunch with my sister.  She called me when she was ready so I went back to the clinic to pick her up. When I got there my sister called her cell telling her we were there again. She said she would be right out of the office. When she was out she came to my window (I didn't know why she wasn't getting in the car). I rolled my window down and she asked me, "Do you have a water bottle or something? I was just talking to this man outside the clinic. Poor man, he needs insulin but they can't see him at the clinic today. He was to wait until tomorrow. He had an alcohol problem, but he's been sober for some time now and he has nowhere to go. He doesn't have any food or water and he was recently laid off work. He's going to stay outside of the clinic for the night." I grabbed an extra plastic water bottle I had in my car and put in some cold water I had in my refillable bottle. I didn't have any snack or anything in the car to give him, but my mom told me she wanted to bring him some food later. She then took off to give him the water bottle.

At that moment, I saw my mom in a different light. My mom is a wonderful person and I may have been blind all this time because I didn't see that. Before today I didn't see how big of a heart she really has. I have even thought of her as heartless because she's not your typical nurturing mother who tells you she loves you everyday. I can't even think of the last time she said "I love you" to me. This moment made me see that if she cares enough about a stranger to give/ provide him with nourishment, how can I think she doesn't care about me?

I'm glad that with the few homeless people I've run into I have provided spare change if I have it. One time I even gave the homeless person a World's Finest chocolate I had just bought (it was the only food I had with me). I guess I got my heart from my mom because sometimes I do act exactly like her. Her actions today have forever changed my view on homeless people. I won't be as harsh of a judge the next time I come across a person who is asking for some spare change. After all, you never know how they ended up that way or if you could ever end up on the streets, especially in this economy.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Denise! You're right, I ran into to a homeless person today at the drive-thru and I was quick to judge as well. I learned a few years ago that the #1 cause of homelessness is schizophrenia. I should think about that the next time I see a homeless person which, let's face it, is quite often these days.

    ReplyDelete